Our Design / Research & Development Resource Team are equipped and experienced specialists in searching and sourcing relevant engineers at all levels. This team consists of experienced consultants supported by a specialist sector researcher, covering all aspects of the needs and demands of a modern engineering customer base, from blue sky concept design, research and development, right through to design for product launch.
The name of Probe in the marketplace has developed an excellent reputation for quality thus ensuring that our clients come back tous having benefited from our superb service in the past. We also attract the very best engineers around due to finding the best positions, should they be Contract or Permanent, because we have the vacancies they are looking for.
Having one of the largest databases of Design Engineers in the UK also means that we attract a very large portfolio of companies who regularly tap into our vast resources and professional expertise.
How have we achieved this?
Probe started life in 1994 as a Design House and built up a very strong database of companies requiring a design service and have since gained an enviable reputation for quality and service. This progressed naturally to supplying client companies with designers on site and thus provided us a very natural progression into Recruitment as we fully understand our clients and candidates needs.
Today Probe offers a wide range of options that support all aspects of modern R&D needs that go far beyond just sending a CV and gives a service that is aimed at providing solutions for immediate, medium and long-term customer needs.
This service is aimed at providing contractual and permanent engineers at short notice, to work either on or off site. These engineers have all been interviewed and screened for their qualifications, suitability and experience and many have a strong working history supporting our customers with their project workloads. This service can be either provided on a Contingency (No Win-No Fee), Retained Assignment or Executive Search basis.
The Complete Design Solution - 'Man & Box'
Not only can we find the right staff for our clients but we can also supply the 3D CAD software on site. We appreciate that not all companies have as many seats of CAD as they would like, hence, if the job needs to be done quickly we can provide the complete solution of ‘Man and Box’.
Key Areas of specialism:-
- 2D & 3D CAD Design, Modelling & Detailing on all the major CAD packages (Product / Mechanical / Styling / Electro-Mechanical)
- Electrical & Electronic Development / Test & Design
- Finite Element Analysis , Hand Calculations, Linear, Non-Linear - Dynamic, Static
- Mathematical and Simulation Software
- CFD - Thermal, Fluid, Flow Analysis and Dynamics
- NVH - Noise and Modal Analysis
- Research and Development / Test Engineering - Durability, Calibration, Test , Control and Feasibility
- Project Engineering / Management - Concept / Prototype / Process / Value Engineering / Design
- Senior Department Heads – Engineering / Design / Test / Development
If you would like a confidential discussion surrounding strategic hiring for your organisation or your own career path we would be delighted to hear from you to determine how our services can assist you in finding the right solution so please call us on 0121 321 4311
61 Jobs Found
A large European Automotive supplier based in the Central Midlands is looking to add a new design team member to their organisation. The role is for a CAD Designer and will report to the Design Office Manager.
Duties of a CAD Designer:
- The primary purpose of the role is to design and define the main product features based on design rules, standards and technical specifications in compliance with company and customers directives.
- Design the product so it can be integrated into a manufacturing environment
- Carry out dimensioning diagram and the digital definitions
- Design and complete projects against given timelines.
- Contribute to design review meetings and design change requirement updates
Requirements of a CAD Designer:
- The right candidate will ideally have an automotive component design background that involves complex parts and assemblies with 3D CAD using Catia V5 R18 and plastic transformation, injection / blow moulding tool, GD&T (drawing dimensioning) and mould flow.
- Experience with CAD tools and ISO design and drawing standards, FMECA and strong Dimensioning Drawing skills.
- Candidates should be formally qualified in engineering HNC/ HND or above
- Have at least 3 years recent design engineering experience
Mechanical Design Engineer
Reporting: New Product Development Manager
We are working with a specialist manufacturing organisation that offer their services for a range of clients, who seek a method of manufacturing that is tailored and bespoke to their needs. (Low to Medium Volume).
To support the myriad of projects that the company produce each year, a small new product development team is tasked to work closely with the customer, supplier and the internal manufacturing departments to ensure the smooth delivery of projects and programmes.
The team consists of engineers with different skills sets and capabilities and a new position has been created for a more Mechanical biased Designer / Draughtsperson to join.
The role will be directly responsible for design and creating Design for Manufacture drawings, designs and models, so that tooling, prototyping and new product introduction processes can run in line with production effectively.
This will involve working with both NPD and Manufacturing teams daily, whilst also creating designs for overseas tooling suppliers.
All design work will be carried out in Solidworks and design standards and general mechanical engineering principles will always need to be adhered to.
This position will suit a either a Graduate or HND qualified engineer with at least 2 years industry design experience or a more experienced time-served draughtsperson with many years design and detailing exposure.
CAD Data Management Support
Reporting to the Engineering Data Manager
We are working with a large group of companies that are now migrating their CAD Data and associated documentation into a new PLM Enterprise System (Product Lifecycle Management) Windchill.
This will involve moving an obsolete unsupported matrix application to a new modern system with the latest functionality and performance software support.
Duties of a CAD Data Management Support:
- Work with the Engineering Data Manager to identify and rectify engineering data quality issues
- Analyse and cross reference engineering data between multiple sources to identify data quality issues (IT Systems and Excel reports)
- Identify missing engineering data and propose a resolution for correction Instruct the IT support team on the required correction activities
- Track progress of corrective updates and validate quality issues resolved
- Produce regular status updates / progress reports to project team
Skills Required of a CAD Data Management Support:
- Good understanding of engineering concepts is essential
- Understand how to read Engineering Drawings Understand Part and Product Bill of Materials
- Understand product and part naming terms and conventions
- Prior operation of PDM, PLM, MRP or ERP applications an advantage
- Engineering / Manufacturing back ground is preferred
- Good communication skills – written and verbal
- Good Excel skills (Macros ideally) and the ability to manage multiple large spreadsheets
- Ability to work independent and to deadlines
The role is for 6 months to meet project mile stone
The role is based in Peterborough but could be based out of Kent or Daventry for the right candidate.
Travel may be required within UK to work with wider project team
Mechanical Engineer (Approvals)
Reporting to: Development Manager - Mechanical
Working hours: 37½ Hours per Week
Monday - Thursday 08:30am - 17:15pm, Friday 08:30am - 13:00pm
We are working with a R&D Technical Centre that supports an international group of companies in the development of specialist measurement equipment and devices with over 90% being exported around the world and a vast portfolio of new product development programmes that are due to be launched over the next few years.
A new position has arisen in the research department for a Mechanical Engineer to cover the Approvals and Standards part of R&D projects.
This will require a suitable applicant to carry out a number of duties that will consist of but not be limited to the following:-
- Administrating and coordinating the compliance of a range of projects to the Pressure Equipment Directive (2014/68/EU) and other National and State Standards relating to pressurised equipment requirements.
- Creating and maintaining all pressure related Technical Files.
- Preparing and submitting approvals to Notified Bodies by collating the associated information in electronic and/or paper format as required.
- Preparing and submitting Design Assessments and Material Appraisals to the Notified Body as required.
- Preparation and maintenance of Data Plate information for the internal system.
- Keep up to date with the requirements and any changes to the Pressure Equipment Directive and any other relevant pressure related standards.
- Monitor the Certification status of all of the company’s pressure related approvals.
- Reviewing non-conformance reports relating to pressure components and advising a suitable course of action.
- Reviewing new drawings and drawing alterations with respect to compliance with relevant Directives and Standards.
- Participation in internal and external audits relating to pressure approvals.
- Working with the Purchasing Department to ensure all pressure related materials and material manufacturers are suitably certified and approved.
- Working closely with and supporting other departments within the organisation and suppliers to ensure compliance with all required pressure related Directives and National Standards.
- Performance of other tasks as detailed by the Development Manager - Mechanical and/or the Technical Director.
- There is the scope for the role to expand in the future to incorporate other approvals such as those related to hygienic requirements of flowmeters e.g. 3A, ASME BPE, EHEDG.
This is a full Project Engineering position that requires good communication and documentation skills along with sound Mechanical Engineering ability.
Experience Required of a Mechanical Engineer:
- A minimum of 2 years practical experience in a product approval role.
- Excellent understanding and working knowledge of PED 2014/68/EU is highly desirable.
- Experience of pressure equipment design would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with pressure vessels, process pipelines and associated equipment.
- Awareness of and general familiarity with recognised design codes for pressure vessels and piping (e.g. EN 13445, EN 13480, ASME B31.3
- Awareness of and general familiarity with process connections especially Flange connections is desirable (e.g. ASME B16.5, EN 1092)
- General knowledge of engineering materials, manufacturing processes, permanent joining processes (welding, brazing) and stress analysis would be beneficial.
- Familiar and confident working with Notified Bodies (e.g. TUV, BSI, Lloyds Register)
- Capable of arranging and witnessing experimental testing of pressurised equipment carried out by third party organisations and the subsequent reporting of results.
- Experience reviewing and understanding National Standards and Directives with the ability of extracting and applying the relevant information that affects all departments across the organisation.
- Basic competency in the use of SolidWorks CAD software would be beneficial.
A suitable applicant will be formally educated in engineering (Mechanical bias) and have the following attributes:
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative
- Ability to work in a highly organized and logical manner under minimum supervision.
- Excellent personal management skills.
- Attention to detail in all areas.
- Good interpersonal skills and team working.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines on multiple tasks.
- Hands on approach & personality.
Please note that this position requires that all applying applicants can already live and work in the EU and are willing to travel to international locations from time to time.
This is an immediate start role for an Inventor Design Engineer. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the incumbent will work within the Mechanical Team to assist with the company’s development of innovative products and solutions.
The duration of this contract will be a minimum of 6 weeks but may continue longer.
Key Responsibilities of an Inventor Design Engineer:
- Preparation of drawings, bills of materials and design calculations for both new products and modifications to existing products
- To work closely with the company’s production and manufacturing engineering functions to ensure designs are as effective as possible for the wider business
- Support of the company’s sales and marketing functions
- Liaison with other departments within the company to help achieve common goals
- Creation and development of conceptual design schemes
- Attendance of site visits, meetings and surveys as required by the projects
- Any further related tasks as defined by the Engineering Manager
Person Specification of an Inventor Design Engineer:
- Autodesk Inventor experience is essential
- Degree or HND held in either Civil or Mechanical Engineering (or related discipline)
- Experience of SAP is essential
- A good appreciation of the importance of Design for Manufacture / Assembly principles
- Practical manufacturing or installation experience will be seen as beneficial
- High capability in written and spoken English
Rate and Hours of an Inventor Design Engineer:
- Rate is negotiable Dependent on Experience
- Hours 37.5 per week. 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday to Friday
CAD Design Draughtsperson
Due to the continued success, an exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced CAD Design Draughtsperson to join a thriving design team.
Key Responsibilities of a CAD Design Draughtsperson:
- Production of foundation and planning drawings.
- Production of full working drawings for building fabrication and erection.
- Production of accurate order lists for each building.
- Negotiation of all purchasing costs with suppliers and completion of regular pricing reviews (on a job-by-job basis).
- Interpretation of customer quotes/briefs and initial conversations with customers to understand and clarify their design requirements.
- Scheduling and completing site visits as required by Drawing team.
- Provision of technical advice and assistance to customers and colleagues.
- Proofing of colleagues work to ensure that detailed drawings are completed accurately in order to prevent issues occurring on site and additional expenses being incurred or issues caused that may impact on our reputation.
- Request and provide appropriate information to obtain structural calculations and SER certification.
- Liaise with and respond to questions from the Fabrication teams.
- Ensure that all health and safety policies are adhered to at all times.
Person Specification of a CAD Design Draughtsperson:
- Minimum of two years’ experience.
- A good knowledge of steel portal framed building and associated materials.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong visual awareness and attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to manage people.
- Logistical thinker.
- AutoCAD experience.
- Good numeracy skills.
- The ability to work under pressure.
- Computer literate.
- Good problem-solving skills and the ability to manage conflict.
- Self-motivated and driven.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
- £30,000 - £32,000
My client is a leading retailer with over 500 stores within their property portfolio.
They have recently embarked on new concept stores, resulting in a number of stores planned to roll out under the new concept.
The current stores are also undergoing a change to the fascias, so the successful candidate will be involved in the roll out of these changes.
Experience Required of a CAD Technician:
Working within a small team, your role will involve drawing existing buildings from surveys and developing these into basic shop fit proposals.
Some travel may be necessary to survey the properties, so a clean driving licence would be desirable.
- Excellent PC skills (Word/ Excel)
- Good communication skills
- Attention to detail
Accuracy and a willingness to learn are essential.
- £20,000 - £30,000 Negotiable
- Discount allowance on their merchandise - 25% staff discount
- Profit share scheme
- 28 days holiday inclusive of Bank Holidays rising to 33 days after 5 years’ service
- Birthday Holiday on second birthday with the Company
- Onsite gym
- Friendly working environment
- Pension contribution of 4%
PRODUCT DESIGN ENGINEER
A new position has been created within a Design Team that has gained a high number of multi-million-pound projects for 3 separate large organisations in the UK.
The team is required to design and develop a wide range of products with either injection moulding or die casted processes and deliver finished products and components
that meet the very high standards required by their customers. (Automotive, Marine, Off-Highway)
The role itself will be mainly self-managing looking after a part or whole project. This will include the concept and creation design of components, design for prototype, testing, design for manufacture,
Bill of materials, supplier liaison and maintaining CAD Data and documents to a very high standard.
3D CAD experience (3 Years+) is essential for this role with either or both Injection Moulding and Die Casting Design exposure.
The role will also require a high degree of project management duties and liaison with other internal departments.
The average project lead time is normally 3 – 6 months from concept to delivery, so experience of fast paced and short lead time design projects would be beneficial.
This is a role that would suit a confident communicator who is happy to work to tight deadlines.
The company have recently seen a strong investment from their parent company and more investment is planned for 2019 / 2020
This is a great position for a graduate or time served engineer who may have already gained 3 – 5 years as a Design Engineer within a team environment and who is now looking for their next step up.
Please note that all applying applicants should already be eligible to live and work in the UK.
Training and progression will be on offer and a successful candidate will be given a great deal of project responsibility from a very early stage, so applicants seeking a strong challenge and the opportunity to develop into a senior position should apply for this role.
Applicants with a Product / Mechanical Design Qualification BSc/ BEng would suit this position best, but applicants with a BA Degree who have worked in a Mechanical Design environment will also be strongly considered.
Mechanical Design Engineer - Salary negotiable dependant on experience.
We are working with a company who provide mechanical moving safety solutions to the Building / Construction Industry Sectors and due to continued growth and product expansion they are now seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer to join their growing ranks within their internal R&D Teams.
The primary purpose of the role is to support New Product Development and technical innovation in regard to moving mechanical applications.
This requires experience in developing moving parts, mechanisms, gearing, hydraulic components or rotating machinery.
The position also requires good experience of design application, project engineering and the ability to take a concept and see it through the relevant methods and design processes to allow it to be released for manufacture.
- Candidates should have at least 5 years direct design engineering experience
- Mechanical Design biased work involving moving or rotating parts / equipment
- Formally qualified in Engineering (Mechanical or Product Development biased)
- Strong communication skills
- 3D and 2D CAD proficient
- A good understanding on Materials, processes and manufacturing methods
- A general / good understanding of Hand Cals and FEA
- A knowledge of Prototyping and Design for Manufacture
Please note all applicants applying for this role should already be eligible to live and work in the UK
This is a great opportunity to work in a position and have ownership of your own projects and see them through to completion. Often projects will also be in general use within 6 months form concept.
The Role of a Mechanical Design Engineer:
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the incumbent will work within the Mechanical Team to assist with the company’s development of innovative products and solutions.
Key Responsibilities of the Mechanical Design Engineer:
- Preparation of drawings, bills of materials and design calculations for both new products and modifications to existing products.
- To work closely with the company’s production and manufacturing engineering functions to ensure designs are as effective as possible for the wider business.
- Support of the company’s sales and marketing functions.
- Liaison with other departments within the company to help achieve common goals.
- Creation and development of conceptual design schemes.
- Attendance of site visits, meetings and surveys as required by the projects.
- Any further related tasks as defined by the Engineering Manager
Person Specification of the Mechanical Design Engineer:
- Degree or HND held in either Civil or Mechanical Engineering (or related discipline).
- At least 2 years relevant full-time work experience.
- Experience in 2D / 3D CAD systems (Autodesk Inventor is desirable but not essential).
- Experience with SAP ERP or similar is desirable.
- A good appreciation of the importance of Design for Manufacture / Assembly principles.
- Practical manufacturing or installation experience will be seen as beneficial.
- High capability in written and spoken English.
Salary and Benefits for the Mechanical Design Engineer:
- £27,000 - £30,000 dependent on experience
- Hours 37.5 per week. 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday to Friday
- 28 days holiday, raising up to 33 days holiday with service
- Sick pay
Senior Project Design Engineer - Mechanical
We have an excellent opportunity for a Senior Project Design Engineer to join a fast paced and concept projects orientated organisation who focus on the research and development of engines, turbines and gear boxes.
The vacancy is for a suitable Engineer to lead the development and realisation of complex test facilities underpinning research on aeroengine gear boxes and bearing chambers design and development.
Key Duties of a Senior Project Design Engineer:
- The position requires a highly versatile and skilled Engineer with a proven capability to deliver projects on time. The role will involve a range of skills and capabilities needed to take test rigs through from specification of requirements to fully instrumented, controlled and operational test facility and into testing and data acquisition.
- The rigs rotate at high speed and involve oil and air flows; some run at elevated temperature and pressure as well, so a suitable Engineer will already have some experience of Design and R&D of Rotating Machinery.
- We are keen to speak to applicants who have a mix of mechanical engineering, CAD Modelling / detailing and machine design skills.
- Working as part of a small team the position will assume a key role in the entire development cycle for the complex test facilities from specification of requirements through to close of commissioning and into testing.
Requirements of a Senior Project Design Engineer:
- This post is a combined design and realisation role so proficiency in use of all appropriate design tools and CAD systems combined with sufficient hands-on capability is essential. Experience in the design and operation of fluid systems and their constituent components is desirable. Experience with motors, drives and power transmission are all highly desirable.
- The right candidate will have a Degree in Engineering, ideally Mechanical and at least 5 years post qualification industry experience.
- Although applicants do not need to come from an engine background, they should have worked in a mechanical / rotating machinery design biased role, where the physical testing and development of prototypes are a major part of the programme.
- Applicants should also have 3 – 5 years’ experience of using 3D CAD, A good background in Fabrications, Machining, Castings, Rotating Parts, CNC, Bearings and have strong evidence of working to GD&T and BS8888 standards.
This is a great role for a hands-on Engineer, who enjoys taking a brief and creating a moving mechanical device, machine or test rig.
Client is a family business where changing people’s lives through the products that they design, manufacture and install is a daily occurrence. With 35 years’ experience under their belt, they are the UK’s leading provider within their specific field, a market leader in Europe and they have a presence in many other countries worldwide.
Based at their ISO9001 accredited, purpose-built manufacturing facility in Derbyshire, they believe the future success and growth of the business is inextricably linked to the introduction of innovative, high quality products.
They are now recruiting an additional Design Engineer to work within a focused Research and Development team, capable of taking the lead on your own projects whilst contributing to those of your colleagues through collaborative and cross functional working.
You will have proven experience of developing products from idea through to production prototype whilst fully considering design for manufacture and assembly.
Candidates at various stages of their career development will be considered, but full project experience is a pre-requisite.
Key Requirements of the Design Engineer:
- Degree or equivalent Qualifications in Product Design / Mechanical Engineering or related subject.
- You must have proven Product Development, New Product Development experience.
- Experience of managing a project from concept through to production is essential.
- You will have a mechanical engineering background, with strong experience in the design and development of mechanical structures and mechanisms.
- Experiences of designing electrics/electronics, control systems or medical devices is advantageous but not essential.
- Be fully conversant with all aspects of Solidworks 3D CAD
- Create product specifications, project plans and detailed designs.
- Select the optimum materials and manufacturing methods to meet business and product needs
- Validate and verify designs by prototyping, testing and first batch manufacture support
- Ensure products meet appropriate safety and performance standards for CE marking
- Ability to manage a project to conclusion, on time and on budget
Person Specification of the Design Engineer:
- Possess a passion to succeed and make a difference to the customer
- Enthusiastic and Energetic with a positive “Can Do” attitude
- An excellent communicator, able to work cross functionally
- Computer Literate with the ability to work unaided.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to work on your own initiative
- Understand the principles of design for manufacture and assembly
- Excellent command of the English Language (Both written and spoken)
- A team player
Salary for the Design Engineer Role:
- £35,000 - £40,000 dependent on skills and experience
Hours and Benefits
- 37.5 per week. A slight flexi-hours option is available. How these are worked will be discussed and agreed with your Manager.
- Profit related pay
- Death in Service
- 23 days holiday plus statutory